Roasted Carrot and Chicken Salad with Pistachios
Roasting is a great way to bring out any vegetable's natural sweetness. In this colorful salad, tender chunks of carrot are the perfect counterpoint to the lingering, nutty flavor of crunchy pistachios.
- 1 lb large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" diagonal slices (2 cups)
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves (6 ounces each), cut crosswise in thin slices
- 4 Tbs snipped fresh chives or sliced scallion greens
- 1 Tbs plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups halved red seedless grapes
- 2 Tbs unsalted shelled chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat an 11" x 9" baking pan and a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place the carrots in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the sugar, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Toss to coat well. Roast, stirring several times, for minutes, until the carrots are tender and lightly golden at the edges.
- About 5 minutes before the carrots are done, place the chicken in a mound on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the oil, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the chives, and 1/8 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Arrange in a single layer. Roast, turning once, for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through. Remove carrots and chicken from the oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, mix the vinegar, shallot, and the remaining oil, 2 tablespoons chives, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes or more to blend the flavors.
- To finish the salad, add the arugula, watercress, and grapes to the dressing and toss to mix well.
- Spread out on a platter. Top with the carrots, the chicken and any juices, and sprinkle with the pistachios.
- Serve warm.
Copyright © 2005 by Rodale Inc.
Calories from Fat 93 (36%)
(16%)Total Fat 11g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.