Ruby red and tart, this salad goes well with rustic grilled poultry; or serve it on top of a mixed green salad.
- 4 large beets, fresh
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Scrub beets to remove any dirt or soil. (Do not peel, as the peel slides off easily after cooking).
- Place beets and enough water to cover them in a medium-sized saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes, until beets are tender, but not mushy.
- Drain and rinse with cold water. Hold each beet under cold running water and slip the skin off. Slice crosswise into 1/4-inch (1/2cm) slices, and place in a shallow bowl.
- Slice onions into rings. Add to beets.
- Mix oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour over beets and onions. Gently mix to combine.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 42 (61%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 6g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.