Avocado Citrus Salad with Marinated Onions
A colorful and tasty salad—tangy, marinated onions are served over slices of rich avocado and juicy citrus.
- Marinated Onions1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Avocado Citrus Salad2 oranges, peeled and sectioned (reserve peel)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and skin removed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, sliced, and seeded
- 3 heads endive (or romaine lettuce)
- Combine rice wine vinegar, honey, and water in jar with tight lid; shake until well blended. Add onions to the jar.
- Shake jar to coat onions in liquid, then refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours. If necessary, shake the jar a few times during the 6 hours to be sure the onions marinate evenly.
- Grate 2 teaspoons of orange peel. Combine orange peel, oil, vinegar, and honey in a small jar with a lid; set aside.
- For each serving, arrange endive and/or romaine leaves in a spoke-like fashion on individual plates. Portion orange segments, avocado slices, and grapefruit segments onto the center spokes of endive and/or romaine.
- Lift marinated onions from liquid with a fork and transfer to the top of each salad. Drizzle with orange peel-infused dressing before serving.
Calories from Fat 138 (53%)
(27%)Total Fat 17g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrate 33g
(34%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2022 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2022.