Arroz con Pollo [Rice with Chicken]
A hearty one-pot meal. Leave the spice rub on the chicken overnight to infuse the poultry with flavor.
- Rice and Chicken8 chicken thighs
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 15 oz can baby corn, drained
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream (garnish)
- 1 avocado, sliced (garnish)
- Cilantro sprigs (garnish)
- Spice Rub1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- Spice RubIn a medium bowl, mix together all of the spices. Add chicken and rub spices into all sides of chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for least 1 hour.
- Rice and ChickenOver medium heat in heavy 4-quart pot with cover, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sauté chicken, turning frequently, until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to casserole dish. Mix in onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth, roasted peppers, tomatoes with juice, black beans, corn, and salt.
- Bring to simmer; add chicken back to casserole. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken and cook for another 20 minutes, or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with tip of sharp knife and rice is tender.
- Add cilantro; transfer to serving dish and garnish with sour cream, cilantro sprigs, and avocado slices. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 220 (51%)
(38%)Total Fat 25g
(32%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 13g
Total Carbohydrate 31g
(15%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.