Stuffed Red Peppers
Use a mix of red, yellow, orange, and green peppers, choosing those with straight sides and even bases so they'll stand up properly.
- Peppers6 small to medium red peppers
- Filling1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 oz ground white meat of chicken or turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown or white rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 Tbs finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- PeppersCut the stem end from the peppers and reserve, keeping matching tops and bases together. Remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers with a grapefruit knife.
- FillingWarm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the chicken or turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove from the heat and stir in the rice, pine nuts (if using), and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the filling into the peppers, leaving about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) at the top, and replace the tops. Fit the peppers close together into a casserole dish just large enough to hold them. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
Copyright © 2005 by Evelyn H. Lauder
Calories from Fat 99 (28%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 47g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.