Lightly grilled garlic scented toasts, topped with chopped tomatoes and basil—a summertime treat!
- 3 medium tomatoes, very ripe,
- 1 bunch (70g) fresh basil, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin is best
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 slices Italian bread, preferably a coarse, country style bread, cut into thick slices
- Salt and pepper to taste (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes; combine with chopped basil and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile prepare the toasts. Peel the garlic cloves and cut in half. Toast the bread either under the broiler, over a grill, or in the toaster.
- Rub the toasts with the cut side of the garlic, so that each piece is fragrant with garlic.
- Place about 3 Tbsp (40g) of the tomato mixture on each toast. (The amount will vary depending on how big the tomatoes are and personal taste.)
- Place all six slices of the bruschetta on a serving dish and serve as an appetizer.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 23 (23%)
(4%)Total Fat 3g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 17g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2023 TraceGains, Inc. All rights reserved.
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about TraceGains, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2023.